People seek the help and support of psychologists for all sorts of problems, and psychologists employ their knowledge and expertise to help in many areas of society. In the area of health, psychologists work with individuals and groups in a wide range of issues:
- Coping with major life events such as long-term illness, genetic disorders, or sudden events such as stroke or heart attack
- Helping to prevent or to overcome depression and anxiety related to physical health
- Supporting people to change their behaviour in relation to exercise, diet, using necessary medications, attending rehabilitation sessions, reducing alcohol intake, quitting smoking and other behaviours that are needed to protect health
- Helping people to improve their sleep and reduce fatigue
- Specialist skills in helping people with chronic pain and other challenging conditions to improve their quality of life
- Building skills and confidence in coping with work-related stress
Psychologists use a variety of therapies and techniques to help people to cope with the difficulties life presents and to live a full and meaningful life, in spite of those challenges.